We have a great opportunity for a Manufacturing Engineering Manager to join a leader and full service provider in the industrial finishing, machining and associated services of raw materials, castings and forgings. This position is responsible for the planning, directing, and coordinating new projects, technical estimating, tool and fixture design, and manufacturing process engineering. You will have regular and direct interaction with our customers and vendors to facilitate the flow of information to support the development work products.
Developing and leading the execution of Lean manufacturing strategies as it pertains to facilities, equipment processes, finishing, machining, heat treatment, inspection, non destructive testing, and material handling capabilities are the main responsibilities of this key leadership role. The Engineering Manager reports directly to the COO and works closely with other key managers in production, quality, sales, and purchasing.
This is a great position with a growing stable manufacturing company and has a competitive compensation package. Company relocation is provided to the heart of the Midwest in an area that has a cost of living 11% below the US average. You will never be bored……….This absolutely beautiful area has it all pro sports, world class racing, arts / cultural events, outdoors activities, and music! Tons of parks and outdoor activities to occupy the busiest family!
- Lead the engineering effort to translate customer requirements from the initial quote stage through qualification and implementation of robust production processes.
- Direct the activities of the Manufacturing project Engineers responsible for developing, scheduling and coordinating all elements of manufacturing finishing and inspection plans.
- Drive the development, documentation, implementation, and improvement of production processes.
- Drive Lean continuous improvement mind-set and projects to reduce costs
- Develop cost estimates for new and existing processes (i.e. machining, finishing, blasting, trimming, packaging, etc.) to support Sales department regarding customer RFQ business opportunities.
- Lead and direct the activities of the Tooling / Fixture / Equipment design, acquisition, repair, and refurbishment.
- Lead implementation and application of a robust (multiple-phased AIAG process) Program / Project Management System to effectively launch customer projects including PFMEA, Control Plans, Mistake-proofing, Critical Characteristic management, and Dual Launch Netting process.
- Provide technical support and assistance to facilities maintenances department
- Lead the cost reduction program including technical problem solving.
- Recommend the acquisition of new equipment or modifications to meet the process and production need of the business.
- Develop and utilize performance metrics for all areas of direct responsibility
- Plan for manufacturing growth as dictated by the growth of our business.
- Communicate with customers to manage expectations, resolve problems, and obtain feedback.
- Conduct shop floor problem analysis; propose solutions, simulations, and execute.
- Develop and document long range resource planning to accommodate growth and reduce operating costs.
- Develop methods for creating an organized, clean, high performance focused factory.
- Use performance data to analyze and make recommendations to strengthen production performance.
- Direct use of six sigma tools to ensure high quality, cost effective, timely implementations.
- Work with Purchasing to select and ensure proper qualification of suppliers.
- Remain current on state-of-the-art finishing processes and operating solutions that may leverage our cost competitiveness.
- BS degree in Manufacturing Engineering or Industrial engineering.
- 8+years’ experience in manufacturing engineering
- Able to build costs estimates for machining, heat treatment, and other manufacturing processes including robotic or cellular manufacturing concepts.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents and prints
- Skilled with manufacturing techniques and process development.
- Program Launch and systems application knowledge necessary to achieve product and process stability and reliability robustness.
- Skilled using Six Sigma tools to manage variation and Lean methodologies for operations excellence.
- Have strong knowledge in CNC machining, metals finishing, non destructive testing, heat treatment, and die penetrant testing and inspection processes.
- General knowledge to include electrical power, pneumatic & hydraulic pressure, water and liquid flow management, EPA regulations, etc.
- Knowledge of Project support skills like equipment rigging & handling and transporting.
- Experienced in customer and supplier qualification.
- Proficient knowledge of CAD tools.
- History of championing change and implement process improvement initiatives
- Effective project management, strong work ethic, detail orientation and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to see the “big picture but direct execution of detailed elements.
- Possess a bias for action in project execution.
- Ability to travel 25% of work time.
- Knowledge of ISO quality systems including EDI is a plus.
- Robotics, vision finishing and inspection experience (including programming language) a plus.
- Project Management certification a plus
- OSHA / Safety Process Design Application knowledge a plus
- Thermal or heat transfer knowledge a plus.
- Professional certifications / training is a plus
- Advanced education is a plus