We have an opportunity for an experienced Civil and/or Marine Construction Engineer to join a Western Gulf Port Authority that manages and facilitates the Ship Channel that intersects the Texas Gulf Intercoastal Waterway and serves hundreds of ships and barges yearly. The Port Authority serves as a regional economic development catalyst while protecting and enhancing its existing industrial base and simultaneously working to diversify its international maritime cargo business. This role reports directly to the Port Director. This is a role where you will be in charge of developing and running all of the port projects. It reports directly to the Port Director!
Consider that this great role has strong compensation and as a government position it has great stability and an awesome 457B plan with employer contributions up to 8.5%. You won't believe the paid medical benefits package! Great beaches, fishing with no state income tax are included! Don't forget that it has a cost of living that is 15% below the US average. What is not to like?!!
- Stays current on industry developments and trends in dredging, engineering, and project management
- Provide required engineering to implement modifications to existing facilities
- Reads and interprets plans and specifications to ensure conformance of field construction and dredging with their intent
- Thoroughly reviews plans and specifications,
- Signs off on documents
- Promoting the Ports by participating in community, industry and trade associations, commissions, and organizations
- Organizes the available technical resources and controls the day-to-day operations of the program or project.
- Updates leadership on goals/achievements
- Manages budget control based on planned expenditures.
- Consults internal and external resources and directs the work of contracted outside consultants/contractors.
- Writes periodic reports or oral presentations to management and customers on specific projects.
- Provide engineering support function for the facility as needed.
- Ensures that ongoing maintenance plan is adequate and being followed.
- Provide support for scope, estimate, procurement, construction/installation, and start-up troubleshooting.
- Helps to develop a clearly defined project scope and deliverables or objectives.
- Provide timely cost estimates for budgeting purposes on all Capital Improvement Projects.
- Solicits construction contractor bids in accordance with the law
- Scrutinizes bids and makes recommendations for award of construction contracts.
- Reviews and recommends acceptance of the quality of work on behalf of the Port.
- Recommends appropriate payments to the contractor based on completed work.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Structural/Geotechnical Engineering or parallel fields in Marine, Naval Architecture and Coastal Geology
- 7+ Years of related experience in civil engineering construction analyzing and solving technical problems
- Must have previous experience working with the Army Corp of Engineers
- Minimum of 2 years in maritime industry
- AutoCAD or Civil 3D and project management software experience required
- PE Certification is required to sign off on documents
- Dredging and Construction oversight experience desirable
- Experienced with project work such as CAD workspace organization, coordination with team members, professional communications, research, and documentation
- Advanced education is a plus
- Professional Certifications / Training is a plus