We have an awesome opportunity for an experienced Production Manager join a global chemical / materials manufacturing company at their refinery operation. Think sunshine, white sandy beaches, low cost of living and great saltwater fishing, as the position is located on the beautiful gulf coast in TX!
We seek a hands on engineer for the critical leadership role as Production Manager of a thriving specialty petroleum coke refinery in Texas. This high-visibility role demands strong hands-on working knowledge of petroleum coke calcining operations in addition to the development and execution of operation systems, processes and procedures, and PSM programs at this modern specialty oil refinery that produces coke for the smelting industry
This excellent position offers a competitive compensation plan and complete benefits package including, medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, a defined contribution plan, a 401(k) plan with company matching. Relocation support is provided to the Texas Gulf Coast.
- Oversight and direction of a team of Operations personnel.
- Clearly communicates company and Operations departmental goals around performance and ensures that they are understood. Holds the team accountable for their performance against these goals.
- Provides leadership and one-on-one / group coaching to Operations employees. Works closely with Vice President of Operations to identify future leaders, and creates individual development plans for these candidates.
- Ensures systems and processes are in place to drive safety, environmental, and quality performance by the workgroup.
- Leads the development of relevant Operations systems and procedures required for OSHA Process Safety Management (PSM) compliance.
- Ensures the refinery is properly staffed at all times with qualified and competent personnel; immediately communicates to the company Leadership Team of any significant incidents or operational issues.
- Coordinates with Maintenance and Technical organizations for major and minor plant shutdowns including turnaround process and capital projects.
- Directs the preparation of the weekly operating plans and short-term schedules.
- Monitors refinery production and compares actual to predicted yields. As necessary, drives changes to the refinery planning tools to enable a more accurate prediction of refinery margins.
- Support capital projects and lead/support initiatives that drive refinery gross margin improvements.
- Manages energy efficiency and improvement efforts for refinery.
- Assigns, supervises, and coordinates the Shift Supervisors and other assigned staff in the operation and administration of assigned equipment and personnel. Monitors results and progress within the area to ensure that guidelines are met by establishing performance metrics.
- Reviews safety observations and sub-standard equipment reports, and identifies trends or areas of concern. Ensures that all incidents are investigated and participates directly in significant incident investigations.
- Establishes maintenance priorities for assigned facilities. Works closely with Reliability and Maintenance Manager’s staff to troubleshoot problem areas and adapt equipment to changing conditions
- Collaborates with all other departments for managing refinery operations.
- Collaborates with Maintenance, Reliability, Engineering and Technical departments to ensure overall facility is operating safely, reliably and delivering on customer requirements.
- Lead preparation and SOPs for refinery turnarounds and capital upgrade projects.
- Sets operational key performance indicators (KPIs) and drives course corrections as needed.
Qualifications for this role include:
- BS in Chemical Engineering or Petroleum Engineering.
- 10+ years of experience in an OSHA Process Safety Management facility. Refinery or chemical processing experience preferred.
- 3+ years of experience working at a senior management level is required.
- Previous experience managing expense and capital budgets, leading organizational change (including facility turnarounds and shutdowns), behavioral-based safety programs and quality management systems will be given preference.
- Strong technical knowledge of daily troubleshooting and process optimization experience with key unit operations in a refinery or chemical plant.
- Must have highly effective interpersonal, collaborative and communication skills.
- Must be adaptable to the challenges that arise in a production environment.
- Must exhibit the desire to practice Servant-Leadership.
- Previous experience in coking operations is a plus.
- Advanced education is a plus
- Professional training / certifications are a plus.